New type D Series/SM driveshaft installationPosted: October 23, 2014
- Remove old drive shaft. Remove and discard the rubber ring seal that sits in the groove in the hub where the drive shaft was. Clean inside of the front hub and lightly lubricate this area with grease.
- Slide the Outer CV-joint of the new assembly through the hub from the rear (turn the steering to facilitate this, then straighten once inserted) and place the inner tripod joint on the 6 studs at the gearbox side. (you may need to flatten the Ligarex buckle further to allow easier fitting through the hub.
Pre 1971 cars that where delivered with aluminum tripod joints need the studs to be replaced by shorter ones of the later cars.
- Put the 6 nuts that secure brake disc and tripod to the gearbox into place and tighten them to 10,5 -15,5 kg/m (76 – 112 ftlbs)
- Put mounting plate on the spline of the outer CV-joint and use loctite or another thread locker on the spline.
- Use the Wheel nuts to push mounting plate on to the hub surface and place the two phillips screws.
- Place the M12 bolt and washers also using thread locker and tighten it to 13,5 kg/m. (98 ftlbs)